Sunday, December 1, 2013

Chapter Love & War





She’s fumbling her thumbs again. I can’t understand her when she does this. She’s choosing her words carefully, painstakingly. 

“I can’t let you do that”, she whispers with reservation, finally looking up at me.

What? 

“Why not”? my voice cracks at the confusion.

She looks back down. Her thumbs flying. Her posture is unfamiliar. Her lips careful. 

“I’m not going to make you hang around while I stay up wait for my heart to decide”. She spits this out fast before she regrets it. 

But-but. I’d do it. Anything, I’d do anything.

“I’d steal the Mona Lisa.”
“What?!”                                                                                                                                                                                            
“I’d buy the Taj Mahal!” I’m shouting, but it’s a happy, celebratory shout.
“Darling, don’t do this”

I’m thinking wildly now. “I’d turn on every light in New York City!” Quick, what else could she want? “You want the moon? Say the word and I’ll throw a lasso around it and pull it down.”

“Quit quoting George Bailey”. It’s her serious pout, and It’s mouth watering. 

I’d be anything. “I’ll be that guy in that movie you like. I’ll go-out for the team! I’ll cut my hair. I could learn guitar.”

She’s quiet and she really doesn’t get it. I’d do anything. I’d walk the Great Wall and count every brick. I’d start over each morning if that’s what she asked.

“I just want some time. Away”, she says finally. 

Anything but that. “That’ll be a dark time for me. You know that?”, She’s real good at making it difficult to speak. “But a certain darkness is needed to see the stars.” Will she think that’s cheesy?

Nice one Paul. Real smooth line. You got her with that one. 

“You’re thick-skulled.” She’s trying to look the part, but her tears are showing.

“I can be that.”






In a minute, Paul

7 comments:

  1. Damn it you really need to just write a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How the eff do you come up with stuff like this? You blow my mind every single time you post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for George Bailey....



    and your imagery is incredible by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you paint pictures in my head

    ReplyDelete
  5. rereading this in July. and it's still my favorite. and it still gets me everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this, just now, and YES.

    ReplyDelete